16th annual Halton Eco Festival
An Environmental Fair for Healthy Living, Biodiversity and a Sustainable Future
at the Glen Abbey Community Centre, 1415 Third Line, Oakville, L6M 3G2
on Saturday, April 16, 2016 from 10 am to 5 pm
Organized by the:
Oakville Community Centre for Peace, Ecology and Human Rights (OCCPEHR)
P.O. Box 52007, Oakville, ON L6J 7N5, (905) 849-5501, email@example.com
15th ANNUAL HALTON ECO FESTIVAL HELPS BRING COMMUNITY TOGETHER
The Halton Eco Festival is one of Ontario’s longest-running environmental fairs.
We organize this environmental fair in order to bring the community together while promoting healthy living, biodiversity and a sustainable future.
The Halton Eco Festival is an interactive, informative and fun event that showcases a wide range of eco-friendly products, services and campaigns. Sponsors and exhibitors help people to choose healthy, sustainable options for themselves and their families.
Green businesses, the local environmental movement, government initiatives, healthcare and businesses with products and services that benefit the environment and contribute to sustainable living were set-up in draped booths at the Halton Eco Festival.
The event takes place in the blue rink at the Glen Abbey Community Centre located on Third Line just south of Upper Middle Road in Oakville.
The issue of biodiversity was highlighted with all-day live presentations of reptiles by Sciensational Sssnakes!! Visitors learned more about invasive species and climate change. Various educational speakers addressed how we can achieve a sustainable future. Many joined in a yoga meditation!
Many new initiatives have emerged after getting connected with others at past Halton Eco Festivals and we are sure many more will arise.
Sponsors and exhibitors attend in order to take advantage of one of the best available local opportunities to meet people who are looking for ways to live a more healthy life, want to reduce their environmental impact, are becoming more actively involved in defining their communities and aspire to live in a more sustainable world that greatly values biodiversity.
HIGHLIGHTED FEATURES AT THE 2015 HALTON ECO FESTIVAL INCLUDED:
- The live presentations by Sciensational Sssnakes!! were very popular with families; children were encouraged to handle various snakes; staff was exceptionally outgoing and are great ambassadors for biodiversity.
- Guest speakers discussed a variety of environmental, health and social issues.
- People grabbed a snack or meal and relaxed with a hot or cold beverage at our eco cafe food booth; somozas and pakoras were very popular.
- Halton Region Public Works Department distributed 100’s of free blue boxes and the new orange boxes; representatives were very helpful in sharing information about their many public services provided.
- Door prizes included a Bluetooth speaker donated by Cogeco.
- This event strives to be as waste-free as possible and we are pleased to report that less than one bag of garbage was generated for disposal.
- There were dozens of educational and very interesting booths; visitors enjoyed speaking with the highly motivated representatives staffing their booths and they learned a lot about sustainability and how to get green.